To some people, the thought of eating bear meat might seem unconventional, if not completely repulsive. However, in this post, we explain why you should add bear meat to your meal lineup and give it a chance.
Firstly, bear meat is packed full of protein, essential nutrients, and healthy fats. A 100-gram serving of bear meat contains 30 grams of protein, more than chicken or beef. Not only is bear meat a great source of protein, but it also contains vitamin B12, which plays a vital role in the formation of red blood cells and helps maintain a healthy nervous system. Bear meat also contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for maintaining heart health, reducing inflammation in the body, and improving brain function.
Secondly, hunting bear for food can be an ethical and sustainable food source. When done legally, hunting bears can help maintain wildlife populations and prevent overpopulation. It also ensures that the meat you consume is ethically sourced and free from antibiotics and hormones found in commercially-produced meat.
Now, let's talk about the taste. Some people assume that eating bear meat might be tough and chewy. And while that might be the case if the meat is not cooked correctly, the reality is that bear meat has a unique and delicious flavor profile. Usually, bear meat has a nutty or sweet taste, unlike anything you would expect, but served properly, it can be a delicacy.
Bear meat is great for your health, the environment, and it is just plain delicious. So why not give it a try? In doing so, you'll explore new flavors and make a healthier, ethically responsible choice that supports the environment as well.
Here is our recipe for slow cooker black bear chili:
- 1 lbs. bear meat, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- smoked cheddar cheese, green onion and plain greek yogurt
1. In a large pan, cook bear meat over medium heat until brown, drain excess fat.
2. Add onion, garlic, and green bell pepper to the pan and cook until vegetables are soft and brown.
3. Add diced tomatoes, tomatoe paste, beans, meat and vegetables to the slow cooker.
4. Stir in chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, salt, and black pepper
5. Cook on low for at least 8 hours to allow flavours to merge, switch to high heat for the last 30-60 minutes.
6. Serve hot, topped with shredded smoked cheddar cheese, green onion and plain greek yogurt.
Lastly, share it with your friends. Enjoy!